Translate

Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Little Bit About Me

            I thought it might be time to introduce myself and share a bit of who I am. I was an Army Brat, born in Monrovia, Liberia (Africa) in 1968. My father was stationed there at the American Embassy. Growing up I traveled to a lot of different places and met a lot of different people over my 40+ years. I’m thankful for FB because I have found old friends from my overseas high school days that I would not have found without it. But I digress…… From Africa, we moved to Panama, next was Ft. Carson Colorado. My memories of those times are very spotty, but my mother is always sharing the stories.

            I really started coming to my own when we moved to Berchtesgaden in 1976. I was in middle school, and I was always the pushing the envelope. It was just my brother and I (I’m the youngest) and while I was getting myself in trouble, my brother was right there covering it up and protecting me from the backlash. Thanks for that Bill. Christmas that year my Aunt gave my brother and I, skies and all the accessories and in January 1977, they took us skiing. My first trip up the ski lift I didn’t make it 100ft from the lift when I fell and broke my left leg. I spent almost 5 months in three different casts. It probably wouldn’t have been that long if the broken bone was set right the first two times. By the time an exchange doctor from England came along for the last replacement, it was discovered that my leg needed to be broken and then set correctly so it could heal. Oh and physical therapy was not part of the healing back then. I remember after the leg was finally healed (in the middle of May) they came in and took off the cast and said have a nice day. I hopped off the table and promptly hit the floor when my leg gave out. Well, I managed to heal up pretty well because I’m not a quitter. That same year when it was time for skiing I put them on again and after the first run down the hill and many face plants later, I became the biggest hotdog, there was. Man, those were the days.

            Not a lot of interesting things happened until the year we moved to Kuwait (1982). This was before Desert Storm and the Iraq invasion, but it was still during tense times. I was starting my freshman year in high school in a foreign country and met some really great people (I found over 30 years later on Facebook, but that’s for another segment). The winter of my sophomore year the country was bombed in six different locations; two of them were the American Embassy (both my parents were working at the time) and the clock tower just outside the American School of Kuwait (during school time). That was probably the scariest time because it was during a 12hour period that I thought I was an orphan, but it turned out alright in my book. Both of my parents are alive and well and living in Seattle, WA.

            From Kuwait, we moved to Seattle, WA, in 1985 where my parents and I settled until I met my husband (1991). Come back later when I will share the story of how my husband and I met, and he made me an Army Wife; it's a fun and interesting story. This is me just living the life that I wouldn’t change for a minute.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Very interesting, Judy! I can hardly wait for the next part...

    ReplyDelete